Pentaho

View Only
  • 1.  Problems upgrading MSSQL's JDBC to 11.2 and how to set properly encrypt=false in the JDBC URL

Posted 08-23-2022 13:41
    Hi,

I am upgrading MSSQL's JDBC to the latest version (currently 11.2) but after copying the file into the lib folder I am getting the following error:
    The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target. ClientConnectionId:8563cdf7-79c9-4979-891a-07ee415b1ffe
    The problem is related to a breaking change introduced with version 10.2:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/jdbc/release-notes-for-the-jdbc-driver?view=sql-server-ver16#previous-releases

Default encrypt to true BREAKING CHANGE TLS encryption is enabled by default.

From Pentaho GUI is not not possible to disable the TLS encryption... Well there is a hack, by adding ;encrypt=false to the database name. Like this:

This hack will create a proper JDBC URL connection:

And therefore the connection will succeed. But it is a cowboy job :P

Another option is to use JNDI connections. eg

JNDI_JDBC_TEST/type=javax.sql.DataSource
    JNDI_JDBC_TEST/driver=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
    JNDI_JDBC_TEST/url=jdbc:sqlserver://SERVER:1443;databaseName=DATABASE;integratedSecurity=false;encrypt=false;

Both options work OK but the hacky one is just ... hacky and the JNDI approach will require a lot of work in order to migrate all the connections.

Any other option I am missing?

Thanks for your time

Best regards

------------------------------
    Juan Sierra Pons
    Systems Engineer
    Juan Sierra Pons

• 2.  RE: Problems upgrading MSSQL's JDBC to 11.2 and how to set properly encrypt=false in the JDBC URL
    Best Answer

Posted 08-23-2022 19:11
    Hi Juan

You could add "encrypt=false" to the connection Options dialog which has the same effect but is neater, or construct a full JDBC string and use a Generic Database connection instead.

The more complex one is to find the code for the connector plugin jar in the pentaho git repo, adjust it yourself and recompile it.

Andrew Cave
    Systems Engineer
    BizCubed Pty Ltd
    Australia

• 3.  RE: Problems upgrading MSSQL's JDBC to 11.2 and how to set properly encrypt=false in the JDBC URL

Posted 08-24-2022 02:22
    Hi @Andrew Cave,

That was exactly what I was looking for. I tested it and works like a charm :)

Thanks for your time

Juan Sierra Pons
    Systems Engineer
    Juan Sierra Pons

• 4.  RE: Problems upgrading MSSQL's JDBC to 11.2 and how to set properly encrypt=false in the JDBC URL

Posted 08-24-2022 07:40
    @Andrew Cave,

Do you know if is it possible to set the encrypt=false as the default value for all connections strings?
    This way I will modify and set encrypt=true to the ones that support it

Thanks for your time

Best regards

Juan Sierra Pons
    Systems Engineer
    Juan Sierra Pons

• 5.  RE: Problems upgrading MSSQL's JDBC to 11.2 and how to set properly encrypt=false in the JDBC URL

Posted 08-24-2022 20:44
    Alas I don't think there is,

Andrew Cave
    Systems Engineer
    BizCubed Pty Ltd
    Australia