Pentaho

View Only

Do we have to install all the Pentaho Server components

• Pentaho
  • Pentaho
Kevin Stanfield's profile image
Kevin Stanfield posted 06-10-2019 08:23

Hi, 

We are using Pentaho Server 8.2. server edition to schedule .ktr/transformations. We only actually need the ability to run and schedule the transformations and are wondering whether it is possible to just use the modules required to achieve this or whether the whole suite needs installing. The reason for asking is that we aim to automate the installation of Pentaho as part of a broader software installation and the size of the complete install is > 3gb which is seen as problematic.

If clarification is required please let me know.

thanks in advance 

Kevin

#Pentaho
Ana Gonzalez's profile image
Ana Gonzalez

You don't need the Pentaho Server to schedule the execution of jobs and transformations.

You can work with files, not the Pentaho Repository (a better option in my opinion, as you can have a git repository with version control for your jobs and transformations), and use the SO tool in your server (cron with Linux, whatever you have available in your case) to schedule the execution of jobs (using kitchen.sh/bat) and transformations (using pan.sh/bat) or set up the carte server (I don't use it, so I don't know how it works, look for information about it)

WebSpoon is quite stable and some people are already using it in production, take a look at it.

Regards

David da Guia Carvalho's profile image
David da Guia Carvalho

If you do decide to go with SO level and GIT(lab)... might worth take a look at CI/CD pipelines... you can garantee that your source in production is the same on the version control and separate snapshots from production by CI a specifi branch do deploy/execute. Also you get a nice web frontend and alot of extra features.

Kevin Stanfield

Thanks Ana - we will take a look at that option.

Kevin Stanfield

Thanks David, will discuss internally.

Kevin Stanfield

Hi Ana/Davice,

After taking a look at webspoon this seems to be a graphical design tool which is not what we want – we would just like to schedule, parameterise  and run the transformations and nothing else. Does PDI alone provide this – is it possible to just install PDI and will the necessary tools be deployed as part of this installation?   

Currently we use PDI client (spoon.bat) to create .ktr files and then will use the scheduler in Pentaho CE to run them.

Thanks for you support.

Kevin

Ana Gonzalez's profile image
Ana Gonzalez

Yes, Kevin, with the PDI installation, along with spoon.bat, you have kitchen.bat (to run jobs without the GUI that spoon provides) and pan.bat, to run transformations, you can call them from a script and they'll run the job automatically.

Regards

David da Guia Carvalho's profile image
David da Guia Carvalho