Pentaho

View Only
  • 1.  Pentaho 9.3 on SQL Server 2016

Posted 01-25-2023 01:51
    Found in 9.3 components reference that solution repositories are
    • MS SQL Server 2017 & 2019 (including patched versions)
    But it doesnt say that it doesnt support previous SQL Server version.

Can someone confirm if they have tested 9.3 using 2016 SQL server? and confirm as well the necessary JDBC drivers as well please?

------------------------------
    Lee de guzman
    IT Support Manager
    Deltek Danmark A/S

• 2.  RE: Pentaho 9.3 on SQL Server 2016

Posted 01-25-2023 04:00
    Well MS SQL Server 2017 & 2019 is good. myBayCare

Effie Rogers
    Director of Marketing
    Rogers ltd.

• 3.  RE: Pentaho 9.3 on SQL Server 2016

Posted 01-25-2023 04:46
    yep, but the requirement is 2016.

Lee de guzman
    IT Support Manager
    Deltek Danmark A/S

• 4.  RE: Pentaho 9.3 on SQL Server 2016

Posted 01-25-2023 05:27
    Hi Lee,
    JDBC is not strictly fixed to version of SQL server. So I think that v9.3 will work with MSSQL 2016.

I use jTDS driver for connection to SQL Server v13 and v14. And it works perfectly.

Petr Prochazka
    Systems Engineer
    P.V.A. systems s.r.o.

• 5.  RE: Pentaho 9.3 on SQL Server 2016

Posted 01-25-2023 19:06

We use the MS SQL Server JDBC driver; any version of that should work with SQL Server 2016.  The last time I checked (quite a while ago), jTDS hadn't been updated in a long time, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work either. Although we haven't tried 9.3 specifically with SQL Server 2016, I cannot imagine that the repository databases use anything that is unique to 2017 or later. The repository databases are pretty simplistic and the operations on them, so far as I'm aware, just use basic SQL INSERT/UPDATE statements. We've used several-year-old JDBC drivers with SQL Server 2016 and 2019 with Pentaho 9.0. In our testing of 9.3, the database structures seem to  be the same for 9.0 & 9.3. That is, in testing migrating to 9.3, we used a backup of a 9.0 jackrabbit DB and just restored it over the top of the empty 9.3 version and everything worked. So I highly doubt there's anything special about the 9.3 versions of the repository DBs.

To sum up: I haven't tried it, but I'd be shocked if it didn't work.

John

John Craig
    Senior Software Engineer II
    Henry Schein One

• 6.  RE: Pentaho 9.3 on SQL Server 2016

Posted 01-26-2023 02:00

Im using JTDS 1.3.1 jar file placed under Tomcat\lib folder and when i run start-pentaho.bat im getting below error from pentaho.log

java.sql.SQLException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

could this be related to the driver itself with a wrong version? im still connecting to 2014 SQL server

Lee de guzman
    IT Support Manager
    Deltek Danmark A/S

• 7.  RE: Pentaho 9.3 on SQL Server 2016

Posted 01-26-2023 11:52

It sounds like the file is in the correct place but the configuration is not set up to identify the driver class to use.

On our Windows install, the configuration info is in:

D:\Pentaho-9.3\server\pentaho-server\tomcat\webapps\pentaho\META-INF\context.xml and looks like this (of course, you'll need to identify the jTDS driver class net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver, rather than the Microsoft SQLServerDriver.

<Resource name="jdbc/DatabaseAlias" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
    factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory" maxActive="40" maxIdle="10"
    maxWait="10000" username="DatabaseUser" password="censored" responseBuffering="adaptive"
    driverClassName="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver" url="jdbc:sqlserver://DatabaseServer;database=DatabaseName"
    validationQuery="select 1" />

John Craig
    Systems Engineer
    Henry Schein Practice Solutions