In an effort to explore the tensions between the Internet of Things and Cloud Computing I'm initiating a new blog series. Like the Financial Forum series the works will all be referenced here as they are developed. Or said another way this introductory post will triple as the introduction, table of contents and place to keep all of the references straight and in one place -- actually all of the references are now included below. At the end of the series I'll intentionally be recruiting inputs on exactly if the fundamental hypothesis is on or off base, and if possible encourage folks to talk about their perspectives. As a bit of reference this work is derived from a paper I did in my last class for my Master of Science in Industrial Engineering. So with all of that out of the way let's get into the discussion by first setting the stage.
Table of Contents
From delightful devices like Apple’s iPhone to mundane offerings like Philips’ Hue LED light bulbs1, many things today are Internet connected. In some cases these things are coupled with Cloud Computing services, and the result can transform one’s living experience. For example I have 3137 songs, 119 movies, and 2181 TV shows digitally stored in Apple’s iCloud service. If I were to maintain physical copies of this content on CDs and DVDs, I'd have to maintain approximately 136 kilograms2 of media assets. Maintaining these copies digitally is transformative for activities like moving between countries and being able to bring my son’s video collection anywhere in the world. However trends like the Internet of Things and Cloud Computing offer hints at a world of more profound changes.
Imagine an operating theatre where surgical towels count themselves. While this might sound far-fetched, the Internet of Things Architecture Working Group has developed and prototyped use cases exactly like this . The benefit is that hospital staff can be, “… assured that no towels are retained in the abdominal cavity of the patient’s body .” Since it is likely that doctors and nurses confirm the electronic count of the towels, one might wonder if any kind of interaction with Cloud Computing assists them. Could cases exist where the Internet of Things makes Cloud Computing obsolete? This series will examine and answer these questions; and the forces of Cloud Computing and the Internet of Things will be explored to engender sufficient context and background.
- Philips Hue is an Internet connected LED lighting system consisting of light bulbs and a gateway enabling a user to control lighting behaviors from anywhere there is an Internet connection. More information on Philips Hue can be found on their website .
- For this calculation each album was assumed to contain approximately 13 songs and each TV season 22 episodes. Further each album with packaging was assumed to weigh 100 grams. Also each movie with packaging was assumed to weigh 100 grams. Finally, each TV season was assumed to contain 22 episodes requiring a package weighing 1 kilogram.
- Internet of Things Architecture. (2013, April) Internet of Things - Architecture - IOT-A: Internet of Things Architecture. [Online]. http://www.iot-a.eu/public/public-documents/d6.4/at_download/file
- Nicholas Carr, The Big Switch: Rewiring the World, from Edison to Google , Kindle Edition ed., W. W. Norton & Company, Ed. New York, New York, USA: W. W. Norton & Company, 2009.
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC. (2011, August) Distributed Management Taskforce, Inc. [Online]. http://dmtf.org/sites/default/files/ISO-IECJTC1-SC38_N0282_Draft_Study_Group_on_Cloud_Computing_.pdf
- Peter Mell and Timothy Grance. (2011, September) NIST - Computer Security Division - Computer Security Resource Center. [Online]. http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf
- IDC. (2013, September) IDC. [Online]. http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24298013
- Netcraft. (2013, May) Amazon Web Services' growth unrelenting. [Online]. http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/05/20/amazon-web-services-growth-unrelenting.html
- Charles Babcock. (2013, October) InformationWeek. [Online]. http://www.informationweek.com/cloud/infrastructure-as-a-service/amazon-web-services-revenue-new-details/d/d-id/1112068?
- Brandon Butler. (2013, July) NetworkWorld. [Online]. http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/072413-amazon-netflix-272142.html
- NewsWire. (2012, December) PRNewsWire. [Online]. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/san-jose-state-university-moves-to-canvas-182214571.html
- Infrastructure. (2014, March) Canvas by Infrastructure. [Online]. http://www.instructure.com/compare-higher-education
- Apple Inc. (2014, March) Apple - iCloud - All your content on all your devices. [Online]. http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/
- Apple Inc. (2014, January) Apple Press Info. [Online]. https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/01/27Apple-Reports-First-Quarter-Results.html
- Google. Google Data Centers. [Online]. http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html
- Sebastian Anthony. (2013, Jul) ExtremeTech. [Online]. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/161772-microsoft-now-has-one-million-servers-less-than-google-but-more-than-amazon-says-ballmer
- IBM. (2013, February ) IBM Research. [Online]. http://www.zurich.ibm.com/pdf/astron/CeBIT%202013%20Background%20DOME.pdf
- Cisco. (2014, Apr) Servers - Unified Computing. [Online]. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/servers-unified-computing/index.html
- Hitachi Data Systems. (2014, Mar) HITACHI UNIFIED COMPUTE PLATFORM SOLUTION FAMILY. [Online]. http://www.hds.com/products/hitachi-unified-compute-platform/?WT.ac=us_mg_pro_ucp
- IBM. (2014, Mar) PureSystems Expertise. Pure and Simple. [Online]. s/us/en/pf_pureflex.html
- Hewlett Packard. (2014, Mar) HP ConvergedSystem. [Online]. http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/converged-infrastructure/converged-systems.aspx#.Uzo9LNzKRQo
- OpenStack Foundation. (2014, Apr) OpenStack: The cloud operating systems. [Online]. https://www.openstack.org/software/
- Internet of Things Architecture, Enabling Things to Talk Designing IoT solutions with the IoT Architectural Reference Model, Alessandro Bassi et al., Eds.: Springer, 2013.
- International Telecommunications Union (ITU), "Overview of the Internet of things," Telecommunication Standardization Sector of ITU (ITU-T), Geneva, ITU-T Y-Series Recommendation Y.2060, 2012.
- Dave Evans, "How the Next Evolution of the Internet is Changing Everything," Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group, San Jose, White Paper 2011.
- Philips. (2014, January) Get Started - Philips Hue. [Online]. http://www.meethue.com/en-US/getstarted
- Mervat Abu-Elkheir , Mohammad Hayajneh , and Abu Najah Ali , "Data Management for the Internet of Things: Design Primitives and Solution ," Sensors , vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 15582-15612 , November 2013.
- Wahoo Fitness. (2013) Wahoo Fitness Products. [Online]. http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices.html
- EMC Corporation. (2140) EMC Home - Download the Digital Footprint Calculator. [Online]. http://www.emc.com/digital_universe/downloads/web/personal-ticker.htm
- Matthew Finnegan. (2006, March) Boeing 787s to create half a terabyte of data per flight, says Virgin Atlantic. [Online]. http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/infrastructure/3433595/boeing-787s-create-half-terabyte-of-data-per-flight-says-virgin-atlantic/
- Guy Norris and Mark Wagner, Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Kindle Edition ed., Steve Gansen, Ed. Minneapolis, USA: Zenith Press, 2009.
- McLaren Electronics. (2014) McLaren Applied Electronics: Formula One Control Systems. [Online]. http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Systems/CaseStudy/Formula%20One
- Stacey Higginbotham. (2013, Nov) GigaOm: How Formula 1 turns 3D printing, big data and crappy bandwidth into sport. [Online]. http://gigaom.com/2013/11/20/how-forumula-1-turns-3d-printing-big-data-and-crappy-bandwidth-into-sport/
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, "The Future of the Eletric Grid," Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, INTERDISCIPLINARY MIT STUDY ISBN 978-0-9828008-6-7, 2011.
- Department of Energy, "The Smart Grid: An Introduction," US Department of Energy, Washington DC, Sponsored Report 2008.
- Thomas Ricker. (2011, June) Engadget. [Online]. http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/steve-jobs-reveals-apples-new-spaceship-campus-calls-it-the-b/
- Facebook. (2011, April) Facebook. [Online]. https://www.facebook.com/notes/prineville-data-center/press-release-facebook-opens-first-data-center-in-prineville-oregon/10150150581753133
- Lucas Mearian. (2013, November) Computerworld. [Online]. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244094/Google_will_build_another_six_solar_power_plants_in_the_U.S.
- Philips. (2014, January) Meet Hue. [Online]. http://www.meethue.com/
- John Gantz and David Reinsel , "Extracting Value from Chaos ," IDC, Framingham, IDC iView 2011.
- IBM. (2011, Nov) IBM: IBM Completes Software Research Project for the Square Kilometre Array Global Telescope. [Online]. http://www-03.ibm.com/press/nz/en/pressrelease/36116.wss