FAQ: Hitachi Vantara Community Platform Migration - August 9, 2019

Document created by Jill Ross Employee on Jun 19, 2019Last modified by Linda Frembes on Jul 8, 2019
Version 6Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

General

• Why are we migrating?

• Our current community platform has reached end-of-life. The Hitachi Vantara Community team led a review of industry-leading community platforms and decided that a migration to a new platform was critical to ensure that we are providing the best community experience for our members.
  • When is this migration happening? How long will it take?

• The migration is targeted for Friday, August 9, 2019 and will be completed no later than the morning of Monday, August 12, 2019. Additional information about the migration will be posted in the community leading up to August 9th.
  • Will I need a new log-in?

• No, you will not need a new log-in after the migration. Your current log-in credentials will get you into the new community.
  • Is the URL for the community staying the same?

Pre-migration 

• What happens to my content?

• All content currently in the community is migrating on August 9, 2019.
  • Do I have to move my own content?

• No, you do not have to move your own content. The Hitachi Vantara Community team is handling this. 
  • I have information in the community that I would like to save to my computer before the move. How do I do that? 

• If there is information that you want to preserve on your local drive, you can use the “View as PDF” feature on our current community to save that piece of content to your computer.
    • Click on “Actions” in the top right menu bar of a discussion, question, or document. In the drop-down menu, you will see “View as PDF” which will open a new window where you can view and save the PDF to your computer. (Please note that you may not see the other menu items listed in the screen shot depending on your permissions.)

• Will my bookmarks and subscriptions migrate to the new platform? 

• Your bookmarks and subscriptions will not migrate to because we are moving to a different platform with differing features and functionality.
    • We recommend that you re-follow your favorite topics and groups after the migration, so that you don’t miss a notification of new content.
  • Will I experience any down time? 

• We will do our best to minimize any disruption your community experience, but there will be some down time during the migration execution.
  • Will there be any training on the new platform? 

• The Hitachi Vantara Community team will be updating the Hitachi Vantara Community User Guide and resources during and after the migration.

Post-migration 

• How do I find the new community? 

• Will I need to re-create my profile? 

• User profiles will be created in the new platform as part of the migration process. We encourage you to update and edit your user profile as necessary after the migration (instructions will be available in the User Guide).
  • Will URLS in the old community still work? 

• We will have domain-level redirects in place; however, not every page in the community will have a redirect in place at the time of the migration. There will a limited set of 1:1 redirects established from our current platform to the new platform, but most current URLs in the community will redirect to the home page on the new platform.
  • What if I have a question that isn't covered in this FAQ?

• Please leave your question in the comments below and we will add the answer to this document. Thank you! 

Attachments

Outcomes