Legacy HDS Forums

9970v -multiple LUSEs striped on OS level performance issues

Discussion created by Legacy HDS Forums on Jul 7, 2008
Latest reply on Jul 13, 2008 by Legacy HDS Forums

Originally posted by: s0cket

Hi all,

I have a 4 years old 9970v array with 96 X 146gb 10k disks, which is required to present a single 6TB UFS partition to an application running on a Solaris 10 Sparc box  (don't ask why...).

This partition also needs to feed a hungry single LTO4 drive library with sustained speed of no less than 200 Mbyte/sec during backups (to take into account the possible compression levels).

After talking with the reseller a few times, it appeared that any custom volume in the 9970 array which is > 50gb is going to be made as LUSE no matter what.

So we have 16 X 3+1 RAID5 groups, which then are cut as 1 X 2GB LDEV + 1 X Open-V*7 CVS LUSE (approx 400gb).

These 16 X LUSEs are then striped as a 16-way stripe (various stripe unit sizes were tested) with the Solaris SVM (logical-block mpxio) to get a single 6.2TB partition.

I'm doing the same tests with a Sun 6540 disk array based partition, and the above LUSE based partition, and the 6540 based storage is nearly three times faster:

dd if=/dev/md/rdsk/d102 of=/dev/rmt/0 bs=2048k

The best we could get out from the 9970v based partition is around 110 Mbyte/sec.

Any hints? My feeling is that the 9970v is just not cut for such partition sizes and speed.

Outcomes