Legacy HDS Forums

Windows 2008 Slow Access to TrueCopy S-VOL

Discussion created by Legacy HDS Forums on Jan 23, 2012
Latest reply on May 28, 2012 by Legacy HDS Forums

Originally posted by: bagheri

We are running SAN Mirror backups, S-VOLS are assigned to the backup server and are in TrueCopy/S, when backups run, Mirror is Split and backup runs from S-VOLs assigned to backup server and after backup is done, Mirror in again put in PAIR state.

Our previous backup server was Windows 2003 and we had no issue, we recently moved our backup server to Windows 2008 R2 and the following issue happens:

As S-VOLS are in Not Ready state while in PAIR state, Windows 2008 is constantly trying to access them and when I open Disk Management it takes around 40 to 50 minutes to open, or when I reboot the server it takes around 50 minutes to come back online, because it is trying to access those disks and will requires around 1 minute per disk to timeout. Apparently something has changed in SAN management policy in Windows 2008, which is trying to access disks and will timeout as they are normally in Not Ready state.

I am looking for any configuration change in Windows 2008 to avoid accessing those disks in normal operations or some solutions like that.

Please share any experience you may have in this criteria.

Thanks

Outcomes